January 3, 2009

I have been doing a couple of hours each day. Its fantastic to work on. Being a smaller boat I don't even have to climb inside to measure something.

I can actually install some of the wood work from outside the boat. It really is like having an invisible hull. 

I am forever putting my hands through the mesh to grab a tool that's left in the boat. To give you an idea of time to build a boat like this in ply. A Hartley 16 foot trailer sailor takes 1200 hrs work. ( A small house only takes 1500hrs.) 

I have done 30 hrs on the interior so far and should have it done in another 30hrs.That will be 80hrs all up ready for spraying with foam.  We can safely assume 100hrs to get to this stage.

I think I could finish the sanding and fibreglassing in another 100hrs. Even if the boat took 300hrs its a quarter of the time over traditional building methods!

The interior volume of this boat is quite generous. It will have a good size double bunk, and standing head room in the small wheel house.I am keeping the fittout simple ,with lots of storage under settee height. 

I will use a portable camp stove and water will be in 10liter containers. The cockpit will be all fibreglassed up with the seats folding up. This area will have an awning for wet weather and be inclosed for somewhere to wash/ cook /clean up etc. With a 10 horse power 4 stroke outboard it would be quite economical to motor through the canals of Europe for example.

This boat is also being built to take a shallow extension to the keel, ballasted to convert the boat into a yacht. With a 20 foot mast. and a 3 foot bow sprit she will carry 200square foot of sail.  Stay tuned for full details.

No comments: